GCL Impact Award
The GCL Impact Award was created by Georgetown University's Latin American Board and the LALP Advisory Committee (formerly known as the GCL Advisory Committee) to recognize Global Competitiveness Leadership Program (GCL) alumni who have demonstrated outstanding leadership in promoting the GCL program multiplier effect in the Latin American region.
Significance of the GCL Impact Award:
Along with the ILG Impact Award, this annual recognition represents the highest recognition LALP grants to alumni of its programs. Honor and responsibility come together in this award, as alumni winners become role models of responsible and transformational leadership for current and future generations of LALP alumni and serve as the region's main ambassadors of LALP programs. Other GCL alumni recognitions include the GCL Seal, a certificate of excellence for projects led by GCL alumni developing sustainable solutions and a multiplier impact for the region.
The purpose of this annual call is trifold:
- Identify and disseminate innovative social, public, and private impact practices led by GCL alumni that respond to a pressing challenge in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Contribute to the exchange of experiences, capacity building, and visibility of the significant contributions made by LALP alumni to the region.
- Strengthen the ties between LALP alumni networks and Georgetown University.
Awardees receive the following benefits:
- Flight in economy class and up to three nights of accommodation in Washington, DC, to present the project and receive the award during the last week of the GCL program when the program is implemented face-to-face.
- Award ceremony and special mention on the LALP website and social media channels.
- A one-year membership in the LALP Advisory Committee that allows the winner to participate in the two annual meetings of the LALP Advisory Committee, contributing their ideas for the alumni network and the development of future programs.
- A glass pinnacle with their name and year of award commemorating this award.
How to Submit Nominations:
- Access the call at LALP Melian with your LALP ALUMNI credentials to submit your nomination or nominate other GCL alumni for this award.
- Select the news GCL Impact Award and click on "Apply Now".
If you have any questions or need help accessing the platform, please contact the Latin America Leadership Program team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2024 GCL Impact Award application dates are as follows:
- January 12 to 31, 2024: Open Call for Nominations
- February 1 to 7, 2024: Review of applications by the selection committee, made up of members of Georgetown University Latin America Leadership Program, the LALP Advisory Committee, and the GCL Alumni Executive Board
- February 7, 2024: Notification to the winner
- February 14, 2024: Public Announcement on LALP and alumni networks
GCL Impact Award Evaluation Criteria:
Applications are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Relevance of the implemented project for the region
- Level of innovation (new innovative approaches and new approaches that scale up existing efforts)
- Scope of impact and multiplier effect
- Project collaborations with other members of the LALP alumni network or link to other GCL/ILG projects.
- Principled and transformative leadership
- Experience developing impact solutions
- Active participation in the GCL Alumni network
Applications will be evaluated by a committee made up of representatives of the LALP Advisory Committee and the Latin America Leadership Program with the support of the GCL Alumni Network Board of Directors.
This year's GCL Impact Award Winner
Past recipients of the GCL Impact Award include:
- Andrea Burt, Paraguay, GCL Impact Award 2023
- Jenifer Colpas, Colombia, GCL Impact Award 2022
- Kenneth Gent, Chile, GCL Impact Award 2021
- Allison Silva, Bolivia, GCL Impact Award 2020
- Melina Masnatta and Sofia Contreras, Argentina, GCL Impact Award 2019
- David Smolansky, Venezuela, GCL Impact Award 2018
- Maria Soledad Nuñez, Paraguay, GCL Impact Award 2017
- Pablo Jaramillo, Colombia, GCL Impact Award 2016
- Alvaro Henzler, Peru, GCL Impact Award 2015
- Felipe Dib, Brazil, GCL Impact Award 2014
- Alejandro Barja Elías, Bolivia, GCL Impact Award 2013