GCL Impact Award
The GCL Impact Award was created by Georgetown University's Latin American Board and the LALP Advisory Committee (formerly known as the GCL Advisory Committee) to recognize Global Competitiveness Leadership Program (GCL) alumni who have demonstrated outstanding leadership in promoting the GCL program multiplier effect in the Latin American region.
Significance of the GCL Impact Award:
Along with the ILG Impact Award, this annual recognition represents the highest recognition LALP grants to graduates of its programs. Honor and responsibility come together in this award, as winners become role models of responsible and transformational leadership for current and future generations of LALP alumni and serve as the main ambassadors of LALP programs in the region. Other GCL alumni recognitions include the GCL Seal, which certifies projects by GCL alumni that develop sustainable solutions for the region.
The purpose of this annual call is trifold:
- Identify and disseminate innovative practices of social, public, and private impact that are led by GCL alumni and that respond to a pressing challenge in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Contribute to the exchange of experiences, capacity building, and visibility of the significant contributions made by LALP alumni to the region.
- Strengthen the ties between LALP alumni networks and Georgetown University.
Awardees receive the following benefits:
- Flight in economy class and up to three nights of accommodation in Washington DC to present the project and receive the award during the last week of the GCL program when the program is implemented face-to-face.
- Award ceremony and special mention on the LALP website and its social networks.
- A one-year membership in the LALP Advisory Committee that allows the winner to participate in the two annual meetings of the LALP Advisory Committee contributing their ideas for the development of future programs.
- A glass pinnacle with their name and year of award to commemorate this award.
How to Submit Nominations:
- Access the call at LALP Melian with your LALP ALUMNI credentials to submit self-nominations or nominations of other graduates of the GCL program.
- Select the news GCL Impact Award 2023 and click on "Apply Now".
If you have any questions or need help accessing the platform, please contact the Latin America Leadership Program team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application if now CLOSED. Dates for 2023:
- January 13 to 31, 2023: Open Call for Nominations
- February 1 to 9, 2023: Review of applications by the selection committee, made up of members of Georgetown University Latin America Leadership Program, the LALP Advisory Committee, and the GCL Alumni Executive Board
- February 10, 2023: Notification to the winner
- February 17, 2023: Public Announcement on LALP and alumni networks
GCL Impact Award Evaluation Criteria:
Applications are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Relevance of the implemented project for the region
- Level of innovation (new innovative approaches and new approaches that scale up existing efforts)
- Impact range and multiplier effect
- Link with graduates or projects of the LALP Alumni Network
- Principled and transformative leadership
- Experience developing impact solutions
- Active participation in the GCL Alumni network
Applications will be evaluated by a committee made up of representatives of the LALP Advisory Committee and the Latin America Leadership Program with the support of the GCL Alumni Network Board of Directors.
This year's GCL Impact Award Winner
- Andrea Burt, Paraguay, GCL Impact Award 2023
Past recipients of the GCL Impact Award include:
- Jenifer Colpas, Colombia, GCL Impact Award 2022
- Kenneth Gent, Chile, GCL Impact Award 2021
- Allison Silva, Bolivia, GCL Impact Award 2020
- Melina Masnatta and Sofia Contreras, Argentina, GCL Impact Award 2019
- David Smolansky, Venezuela, GCL Impact Award 2018
- Maria Soledad Nuñez, Paraguay, GCL Impact Award 2017
- Pablo Jaramillo, Colombia, GCL Impact Award 2016
- Alvaro Henzler, Peru, GCL Impact Award 2015
- Felipe Dib, Brazil, GCL Impact Award 2014
- Alejandro Barja Elías, Bolivia, GCL Impact Award 2013